Call for proposals: Festival of Derivatives
Deadline: 15 Nov 2022
Submit your proposal
7 Dec 2022
7.00–8.30 pm CET/CAT
Copies and derivatives are everywhere. Culture would not be without people duplicating, adapting and creating ripoffs of existing material. Yet at the same time paywalls and extractive licensing schemes do much work to block off copying. And somehow certain works are still labelled ‘original’, and it’s generally only those supposed ‘originals’ that get prized. How do we move on from here?
The Festival of Derivatives calls for lightning presentations to celebrate all things original and copy.
We’re seeking short (5–10 mins) presentations:
- Original papers on anything to do with originality, copying, plagiarism, and derivation.
- Copies of (fragments of) existing papers on any topic related to the festival theme. Please ensure the material holds an open source or creative commons CC-BY license, or is in the public domain.
- Derivatives of existing texts on any topic related to the festival theme. Please ensure the material holds an open source or creative commons CC-BY license, or is in the public domain.
- 15 Nov 2022 – Submit your proposal
- 17 Nov 2022 – Notification of acceptance
- 01 Dec 2022 – Accepted proposals upload 5-10 min. video presentations
- 07 Dec 2022 – Festival (Register here)
Any questions? Do get in touch with Chris Onrust Meyns.
The Festival of Derivatives celebrates an inclusive, welcoming festival experience for everyone. That means we’re dedicated to providing a harassment-free conference experience for everyone, regardless of gender, gender identity and expression, age, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, ethnicity, religion (or no religion), or technology choices.